Пропустити навігацію EPAM


Resettling in Italy

As a company with more than 14,000 Ukrainian team members, EPAM understands the challenges faced by millions of people across Ukraine, including the many who have been forced to leave the country. Our teams on the ground and around the world have been doing everything possible to support our Ukrainian colleagues and their families. Their safety is our top priority. 

In supporting our colleagues, we have collected a vast amount of information about arriving and resettling in a new country, either temporarily or permanently. We are now sharing it here in the hope it could be valuable to you or someone you know.

Please note that the information is subject to change at any given time due to rapidly changing circumstances.



Ukrainian nationals may enter Italy with:  

  • Biometric foreign passport
  • If you do not have a biometric passport, you need a Schengen visa to enter Italy. This also applies to people from other countries who have a residence in Ukraine - such as students from third countries. You can apply for the Schengen visa at the embassy in Ukraine's neighboring countries (here is a list of active embassies: https://prenotaonline.esteri.it/sedi.aspx). 


As of March 3, 2022, refugees from Ukraine do not have to go through an asylum procedure. They will receive temporary protection in the EU for up to three years. Ukrainian citizens who are currently in Italy with a visa or a temporary residence permit will receive extensions of their residency status in the competent foreigners’ authorities of the municipalities as unbureaucratically as possible.

You do not have to register or apply for asylum during the first 90 days of entry. It is important to understand the difference between asylum and refugee status before applying. An asylum request would also mean several restrictions for you: you would initially not be able to work, would be assigned to one of many towns or cities across Italy based on their respective acceptance quotas, and accordingly would not be able to freely choose your place of residence.

To be able to work and decide for yourself where you want to live, you would need to apply for refugee status, not asylum.


From March 1, 2022, citizens of Ukraine may enter the territory of the Italian Republic without self-isolation.

To cross the border, you must have one of the following documents:

  • "Green pass" European vaccination certificate (so-called green pass) with one of the EU-approved vaccines, provided that the person receives the last dose of the primary vaccination course at least 14 days and no more than 270 days before arrival or booster dose).
  • A certificate confirming the recovery of a person from COVID-19, which is formed and issued by an authorized institution of the state, contains personal data of the owner and provides for the possibility of automated verification of the document and its ownership.
  • A certificate of negative result of molecular or rapid testing for COVID-19, which must be done no later than 72 hours (for PCR test) or 48 hours (for rapid test) before entering the territory of Italy Republic (Please note that children under the age of 6 do not need PCR or a rapid test to enter Italy).

A Passenger Locator Form on arrival is required which is available at https://app.euplf.eu/.

Documents can be provided by a person in printed or electronic form.



The declaration of presence must be sent to the certified email address of the Immigration Office of the Police Headquarters (list of respective offices is: questure.poliziadistato.it) within eight days of arrival, attaching a photocopy of the passport.

In addition, the accommodation hosts, within 48 hours of arrival, must send a specific declaration of hospitality to the respective Police Headquarters.



As you are temporarily present, for a period not exceeding 90 days, you can benefit from urgent health care and election against payment of the relevant regional rates. There is no enrollment for students.

This includes:
  • Urgent and essential care
  • Protection of pregnancy and maternity, protection of minors
  • Vaccinations, prophylaxis, diagnosis and treatment of infectious diseases
  • Pharmaceutical assistance
  • Prosthetic care

When you have a regular residence permit, you can register for the National Health Service (SSN) by contacting the ASL of your municipality of residence, or, if you are not yet resident, the actual municipality of residence indicated in the residence permit.

Registration with the SSN allows you to choose the family doctor registered in the ASL registers with the consequent attribution of 4 recognizable credits for the purposes of the integration agreement.
Health care is extended to your dependent family members who regularly stay in Italy.


All foreign citizens outside the EU are entitled to compulsory registration with the National Health Service (SSN):

  • who are regularly staying in Italy and are engaged in regular work or self-employment or are registered as unemployed
  • who are regularly staying and have requested the renewal of the residence permit for: employed or self-employed persons, family reasons, for asylum, for subsidiary protection, for special cases, for special protection, for medical treatment (Article 19, paragraph 2, letter d-bis of the T.U.), for waiting for adoption, by custody, by acquisition of citizenship
  • pending the first issue of the residence permit for employed or family work
  • unaccompanied foreign minors, even pending the issuance of the residence permit, following the reports of law after their discovery in the national territory and in any case all minors regardless of the state of regularity of the stay, with consequent entitlement to the basic pediatrician from 0 to 14 years and the general practitioner from 14 to 18 years

To benefit from the benefits provided by the NHS you must register, and the health card is the document that proves registration.

This document is individual and is used to access assistance.

Where to register for the SSN

The registration to the SSN must be made at the offices chosen and revocation of the ASL where you have the residence or habitual residence indicated on the residence permit.

What to do to register with the National Health Service

To register for the National Health Service, you must go to the counters of the ASL with the following documents:

  • valid residence permit or application for renewal of the permit attested by the receipt issued by the Post Office or by the Police Headquarters
  • self-certification of residence or, in the absence thereof, a declaration of actual residence as shown on the residence permit
  • tax identification number or self-certification (codice Fiscale)
  • receipt certifying that the application for the issue of the first residence permit for employed persons issued by the Post Office has been submitted

Pending the issuance of the permit for family reasons
for the purpose of compulsory registration with the National Health Service, you must present the following documents:

  • entry visa
  • receipt, issued by the Authorized Post Office, certifying that the application for a residence permit has been submitted
  • an unauthenticated photocopy of the clearance issued by the Single Window

For minors in foster care or pending adoption
, a permit is not required for the purposes of the regularity of the stay. The foreign minor shall have all the rights attributed to the Italian child in foster care upon entry into Italy. Therefore, in such cases the child, adopted or entrusted, must be compulsorily registered with the SSN under the same conditions and modalities provided for the first registration of the Italian minor

Duration of registration with the SSN

The Personal Health Insurance Card (Tessera Sanitaria) has the same duration as the residence permit.

Pending the issuance of the permit for family reasons or the first permit for employed work, registration is temporary and will be converted with the same duration of the permit at the time of submission of this.

What is entitled to the health card

The Personal Health Insurance Card entitles you to the following benefits:

  • have a family doctor or pediatrician
  • free hospitalization in public and conventional hospitals
  • pharmaceutical assistance
  • general medical examinations in the clinic
  • specialist medical examinations
  • medical examinations at home
  • vaccinations
  • blood tests
  • radiographs
  • ultrasound
  • medicines
  • rehabilitation and prosthetic care
  • other benefits provided for in the essential levels of assistance

How to access healthcare

When registering choose your family doctor or pediatrician, whose name is on your health card, to which you can contact free of charge.

When you have a referral from a doctor, you can make an appointment with a specialist in the manner defined by the region in which you are registered.

Each specialist visit involves the payment of a fee to participate in the health expenditure (ticket) as is the case for Italian citizens.

There are arrangements for exemption from the payment of tickets for recognized specific conditions of income, age, disability or disease. The Ticket Exemption Card is issued at the counters of your ASL.

Psychological help 

You can find more details here: https://www.facebook.com/emergenzapsicologionlineunipd



Non-Italian residents are entitled to open non-resident bank accounts, regardless of citizenship or visa status. It’s worth noting that these non-resident accounts typically entertain higher interest rates.

It is possible to open an account online, but it can be tricky.

You’ll need to obtain an application form from the website of whichever branch you choose.


Whether you’re a resident or a non-resident business owner looking to open an account in Italy, you’ll need to provide your bank of choice with the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Code Fiscale (*Italian tax code)
  • Certificato di Attribuzione del Codice Fiscale (the document you’re given when you attain your tax code)
  • Work Contract/Proof of enrollment at an Italian educational institution (for residents/international students only)
  • Proof of Address

*You can obtain your tax code at nearly any tax office in any major city in Italy. 

If you successfully open an account online, you’ll still need to show up to the bank in person for security reasons before using your account. 



You can get an Italian mobile phone number just by going to one of the mobile phone company stores (e.g., Tim, Vodafone, WindTre), which you can find almost anywhere throughout the country, and asking for a sim card.

While you are in Italy, an Italian phone number is useful not only for making regular calls, but often for opening a bank account, or for dealing with public administrations, institutions, service providers (energy, gas, light, internet, etc.), public and private companies (e.g., insurance companies), etc. Some of them prefer to communicate via text messages.

It is possible to ask for a rechargeable sim card or, if all the requirements are met, for a card with a monthly payment plan.



Ministry of Interior of Italy: https://www.interno.gov.it/it

Consulate General of Ukraine in Milan/ГКУ в Мілані:  [email protected]   

Click ANOTHER Country to Read Our Latest Information and Updates

Please note that the information is subject to change at any given time due to rapidly changing circumstances.
Information varies by country.
Information for additional countries will be listed soon.


All information provided on this website directly by EPAM or its affiliates or employees is deemed reliable at the time of posting but is not guaranteed to be accurate. None of the information provided on this website by third-parties is verified for accuracy. None of the information provided on this website constitutes legal advice, medical advice, or immigration advice and is provided solely for your information and to assist you to locate resources where you can obtain such advice. EPAM is not responsible for the content provided by third parties, the security of third party websites or links to those websites, or any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints. Some third party websites linked to from this website are not secure and any information transmitted by you to the third party website can be intercepted and read. You should use such third party websites with caution and should not provide any information, including credentials or login information, to unsecure websites. All information is subject to change and EPAM is under no obligation to update information if it changes. Information is provided for personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any other purpose.

Вакансії EPAM Ukraine у Київ | Львів | Харків | Дніпро | Вінниця | Івано-Франківськ | Одеса | Чернівці | Хмельницький | Рівне | Ужгород | Тернопіль | Луцьк за напрямком Java | JavaScript | .NET | DevOps | Experience Design | Software Testing | Business Analysis | Python| Big Data | Mobile | Solution Architect | Ruby on Rails у містах за напрямком Java вакансії Київ | Java вакансії Харків | Java вакансії Львів | Java вакансії Вінниця | Java вакансії Одеса | Java вакансії Івано-Франківськ | Java вакансії Чернівці | Java вакансії Хмельницький | Java вакансії Рівне | Java вакансії Ужгород | Java вакансії Тернопіль | Java вакансії Луцьк | JavaScript вакансії Київ | JavaScript вакансії Харків | JavaScript вакансії Львів | JavaScript вакансії Вінниця | JavaScript вакансії Одеса | JavaScript вакансії Івано-Франківськ | JavaScript вакансії Чернівці | JavaScript вакансії Хмельницький | JavaScript вакансії Рівне | JavaScript вакансії Ужгород | JavaScript вакансії Тернопіль | JavaScript вакансії Луцьк | DevOps вакансії Київ | DevOps вакансії Харків | DevOps вакансії Львів | DevOps вакансії Вінниця | DevOps вакансії Одеса | DevOps вакансії Івано-Франківськ | DevOps вакансії Чернівці | DevOps вакансії Хмельницький | DevOps вакансії Рівне | DevOps вакансії Ужгород | DevOps вакансії Тернопіль | DevOps вакансії Луцьк