ENGLISH | УКРАЇНСЬКА
Resettling in Hungary
As a company with more than 14,000 Ukrainian team members, EPAM understands the challenges faced by millions of people across Ukraine, including the many who have been forced to leave the country. Our teams on the ground and around the world have been doing everything possible to support our Ukrainian colleagues and their families. Their safety is our top priority.
In supporting our colleagues, we have collected a vast amount of information about arriving and resettling in a new country, either temporarily or permanently. We are now sharing it here in the hope it could be valuable to you or someone you know.
Please note that the information is subject to change at any given time due to rapidly changing circumstances.
On this page, you can find information about the following
ENTERING THE COUNTRY
All Hungarian border crossings are open for Ukrainians and other nationalities. Effective from 10:00 p.m. on February 24, 2022, people coming from Ukraine will receive special refugee status upon entry to Hungary allowing any further administrative paperwork to be settled after entry. This includes both Ukrainian Nationals and third country nationals that have valid residence status in Ukraine.
The following border crossings may be used to enter Hungary from Ukraine:
- BARABÁS - KOSON’ (open between 8am-7pm)
- BEREGSURÁNY – АСТЕЙ (open 0-24)
- LÓNYA – DZVINKOVE (open between 7am-6pm)
- TISZABECS – VILOK (open 0-24)
- ZÁHONY – ČOP (open 0-24)
Helping points, overnight facilities, food, water, warm waiting places are operated at the borders.
ACTUAL WAITING TIMES AT BORDER CROSSINGS
Here is the current information. It is updated every 3 hours:
Or you can look at this map:
Entry of Ukrainian people fleeing the war may also be allowed in the absence of a biometric passport, or in the absence of travel documents, after an individual assessment of any documents identifying the person (e.g., Ukrainian ID card). The same applies to crossing Schengen borders (e.g., from Romania to Hungary).
- No COVID-19 test is required, no quarantine applies
- Pets are allowed without documentation (in practice)
- Bring ownership documents of a car
- Registration of entry is not mandatory (scroll down for details on voluntary registration for temporary protection)
ARRIVING WITH PETS
Pets are allowed without documentation (in practice).
National Food Chain Safety Office (Nébih) stated that the Hungarian veterinary authority was prepared for the arrival of companion animals (not marked with a microchip, unvaccinated, without a blood test) arriving in Hungary with their owner. In order to ensure a smooth entry, the national chief veterinarian has ordered the completion of a simplified registration form. https://telex.hu/kulfold/2022/02/25/nebih-mikrocsip-nelkul-is-hozhatjak-magukkal-hazikedvenceiket-az-ukrajnabol-erkezok
UA citizens can use MÁV (Hungarian railway Co.) for free from February 28, 2022 with a Solidarity ticket. To get this ticket Ukrainian ID or passport is needed. (Угорська державна залізниця забезпечує безкоштовний проїзд на поїздах для усіх біженців з України)
WIZZ Air is providing 100,000 free seats on short-haul flights departing from Ukraine's neighboring countries (Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania) in March.
They also recognize that many refugees have already started moving and may be stranded in other locations, so they are offering a 29.99 EUR and 69.99 EUR rescue fare on all other flights. Book your travel at https://wizzair.com/#/rescue.
Hungarian motorways are tolled. You can buy a ticket online at https://www.autopalyamatrica.hu/ or at https://www.nemzetiutdij.hu/
- Please note that you need to pay for parking in most of the cities.
- Budapest parking: Upon application, the Municipality of Ferencváros, the IXth disctrict of Budapest provides free parking for refugees arriving from Ukraine, who have accommodation in Ferencváros. Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver to the customer service of the Parking Directorate in Lónyay utca 13/a. The application has to include the copy of the passport of the refugee, the copy of the traffic license of the car and a statement of the provider of the accommodation in Ferencváros.
FRONTIER INSURANCE, GREEN CARD
- Every vehicle normally based in the territory of a third (non-EEA) country must, before entering the territory of Hungary, be provided either with a valid Green Card or with a certificate of frontier insurance establishing that the vehicle is insured in accordance with the relevant laws. As a provisional and extraordinary measure to facilitate the entry of refugees to Hungary, the Managing Board of MABISZ has decided to put a significant discount on the frontier insurance premium of personal cars normally based in Ukraine. More details are available here.
TRANSPORTATION WITHIN BUDAPEST
BKK (Budapest public transport company) provides free transportation to Ukrainian citizens between March 4th and May 31st. For being eligible UA ID or passport is needed. "You ride for free on public transport. If there is a ticket check, show the Ukrainian passport. There is 1 exception to this - public transport to airports is not free." https://bkk.hu/utazasi-informaciok/kozossegi-kozlekedes/ukrajna/
You can find temporary accommodation here:
As of March 2, 2022, Duna Medical Center (https://dunamedicalcenter.org/) Offers general medical services from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and emergency gynecological and obstetrics (pregnancy, birth) services 24/7, all free of charge. For an appointment, call: +36-70-698-0696. An interpreter will assist during the consultation.
Help for people with type 1 diabetes, call this number:
+36 30 630 6025
Child emergency care and 24/7 general medical advice:
+36 80-200-223 UA service available
MEDICAL CARE FOR CHILDREN
The Pál Heim National Institute of Pediatrics offers free medical care and psychological services to children displaced from Ukraine. Children arriving from Ukraine in need of health care are admitted to the institute every day of the week with communication assisted by a Ukrainian interpreter if necessary.
The institute is located at SBO: Heim Pál National Institute of Pediatrics Üllői út 86. In order to care for children from Ukraine as soon as possible, the emergency number +36 80-200-223 is available free of charge for all questions related to child health care (patient care, referrals, counseling, COVID-19 vaccination, missing and continuous compulsory vaccinations for children, etc.) This line is open 24 hours a day and help in the Ukrainian language is available.
The stress of leaving war and leaving home, as well as the processing of losses and grief, are assisted by specialists at the Pál Heim National Institute of Pediatrics Spiritual Crisis Children's Outpatient Clinic free of charge: +36 30 44 34 751
Free access to psychology services at https://pszi.hu/
Semmelweis University, Faculty of Dentistry - Department of Community Dentistry is offering free dental treatment for Ukrainians.
Address: 40. Szentkirályi Street, Budapest, 1088
Phone number: (+36-1) 317-6600, (+36-1) 317-0951
Accepting patients from Monday to Friday from 8am - 1pm and from 2pm - 7pm
UKRAINIAN REFUGEES WITH EPILEPSY
For Ukrainian refugees with epilepsy, the Hungarian Epilepsy League provides assistance (prescription, epilepsy care) in several places across the country. For more information, please contact email@example.com or call +3672535910 during working hours.
COVID vaccinations are voluntary and free of charge. To apply for vaccination, visit: https://vakcinainfo.gov.hu/registration to register.
Budapest University of Technology and Economics helps transborder students and Ukrainian partner universities. More details can be found at: https://www.bme.hu/news/20220302/BME_helps_transborder_students_and_Ukrainian_partner_universities?language=en
The University of Debrecen has been receiving many transfer of study requests from Ukrainian students. More details can be found at: https://edu.unideb.hu/p/help-for-students-from-ukraine
BANKING AND MONEY EXCHANGE
Ukrainian citizens can open a bank account in Hungary at Erste Bank with their Ukrainian ID or passport.
In addition, Erste Group's subsidiary banks throughout Central Europe are providing Ukrainian refugees with access to free accounts to facilitate money supply and transfers.
Swiss change: Budapest, Bajcsy-Zsilinszky út 49, 1065
EUR ATM (Search on map)
You can find more about Revolut here: https://app.revolut.com/help/topic/more/support-for-ukrainian-refugees
RSTE BANK offers free of cash withdrawal from their ATMs from Ukrainian bank accounts.
Ukrainian cardholders can withdraw cash at Euronet network ATMs in Ukraine, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia and Romania without fees. Learn more at: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2022/03/02/2395749/23467/en/Euronet-Worldwide-Inc-Announces-Fee-Waivers-at-the-Company-s-ATMs-for-Ukrainian-Cardholders-and-on-Money-Transfers-to-Ukraine.html
Mobile internet can be available at certain helping points (shared by helpers).
Vodafone, Telekom: roaming charges cancelled for those in UA on calls made to HU
Telekom: free calls and text messages to UA from HU
Yettel is providing free SIM cards for UA refugees. https://www.facebook.com/yettelhungary/posts/10159790659346125
Mobildonor services by Telekom: https://mobildonor.hu/ - where you can request used phones with SIM cards
Biometric passport holders can stay up to 90 days without a visa
As per the 86/2022. (III. 7.) Korm. Rendelet, which is the Hungarian implementation of the EU Directive
STAYS LONGER THAN 90 DAYS
For stays longer than 90 days there are two options:
1. WORK PERMIT WITH TEMPORARY PROTECTION STATUS
First temporary protection application must be submitted and granted – best option for DEPENDENTS (as it includes medical care):
- Eligibility – Ukrainian nationals residing in Ukraine before February 24, 2022.
- To be processed by the National Directorate-General of Aliens Policing - Menekültügyi Igazgatóság (Budapest XI., Budafoki út 60. / Postal address: 1903 Budapest, Pf. 314.)
- The application shall be submitted in person at any of the customer offices of the National Directorate-General of Aliens Policing during official hours or at one of the collection points on a 24/7 basis
- The collection points:
Name of the reception place
Munkácsi út 2
House of Culture / Mūvelõdési Ház
Kossuth út 19
House of Culture / Mūvelõdési Ház
Petõfi út 6
Gym / Tornaterem
Iskola köz 2. szám
Sports Hall / Sportscsrnok
Szent István tér
Elementary School / Általános iskola
- Document required is a certificate that clearly proves identity. In case such document is not available, application may still be submitted, but processing time may take longer, as the authority will need to cross-check identity
- No government fees
- The processing time is 45 days, however delays are anticipated due to the large number of requests
- Entitlement to health care
2. WORK AND RESIDENCE PERMIT – STANDARD APPLICATION IN-COUNTRY
- Original diploma hard copy required – relevant qualification preferred
- Process length until Residence Permit for employment purposes is issued depending on the position applied for. Positions with a skills shortage (Diploma must show relevant qualification) are eligible for approx. 14-day processing; standard processing (in-country application) is approx. 2 months
- Dependents should apply for temporary protection status, as it provides medical care – Residence Permit for family reunification does not
POSSIBILITIES FOR THIRD COUNTRY NATIONALS ARRIVING FROM UKRAINE INTO HUNGARY
As per the 86/2022. (III. 7.) Korm. Rendelet, which is the Hungarian implementation of the EU Directive, Hungary is not applying the Directive to those third-country nationals who lived and hold a residence permit in Ukraine.
- Family members (spouses and children) of Ukrainian nationals who have resided in Ukraine prior to the February 24, 2022 – family relations must be supported by documentation
- Domestic partners of Ukrainian nationals who have resided in Ukraine prior to February 24, 2022 – domestic relationship must be supported by documentation, the UA national should be proven to be the financial maintainer and the third-country national should be the dependent. It is not guaranteed, and approval is not automatic, it is up to the discretion of the authority to evaluate the situation.
- Third country nationals will be granted 30-day permit to stay in Hungary.
- This permit does not allow for travel within the EU.
- Third country nationals are not eligible for temporary protection status – the application may not be submitted and if submitted prior to this legislation shall be rejected.
- During this 30-day period or by the expiry of this permit they must leave Hungary and either return to their home country or to a country to which they either hold a valid visa or where they are visa free.
- Application for Residence Permit in Hungary may only be submitted via Hungarian Consulate in home country or in a country where they hold long term residence permit valid at least for 3 months at the time of application.
Helping Ukrainian IT Professionals Find Work Opportunities with EPAM in Hungary
As a company with more than 14,000 Ukrainian team members, EPAM understands the challenges faced by millions of Ukrainians, and the hurdles ahead. If looking for your next work opportunity is one of them, we are ready to support you.
Click ANOTHER Country to Read Our Latest Information and Updates
Please note that the information is subject to change at any given time due to rapidly changing circumstances.
Information varies by country.
Information for additional countries will be listed soon.
All information provided on this website directly by EPAM or its affiliates or employees is deemed reliable at the time of posting but is not guaranteed to be accurate. None of the information provided on this website by third-parties is verified for accuracy. None of the information provided on this website constitutes legal advice, medical advice, or immigration advice and is provided solely for your information and to assist you to locate resources where you can obtain such advice. EPAM is not responsible for the content provided by third parties, the security of third party websites or links to those websites, or any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints. Some third party websites linked to from this website are not secure and any information transmitted by you to the third party website can be intercepted and read. You should use such third party websites with caution and should not provide any information, including credentials or login information, to unsecure websites. All information is subject to change and EPAM is under no obligation to update information if it changes. Information is provided for personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any other purpose.